Monday, April 8, 2013

I Quit Pinterest

I quit Pinterest.

Seriously, I did.

I realized that after looking at Pinterest, I would have this vaguely uneasy, discontented feeling, like maybe my health, my house, my relationships, and certainly my parties, were all a little lacking. Sub-par. Less than awesome.

True, I've found some great recipes there. I'm currently looking at what is a highly satisfying DIY project of ceiling medallions adorning my dining room wall, thanks to a pin I saw (but FYI ceiling medallions are NOT inexpensive unless you can magically find them at a salvage yard or something). I have new ideas for exercising. I have been amused by some e-cards.

But what I've found, and I'm finding all over the internet actually, is that we all seem to be striving for just a little bit more, just a little bit better. And we don't just strive for it, we have to put it out there that we're striving for it. And sadly I think that generally produces one of two results, at least it does in me: either a zealous attempt to keep up with the Jones who appear to produce fabulous non-processed organic meals for their continually-improving-through-homemade-activity-children and going on meaningful dates with their spouses while maintaining rock hard abs, all in their chemically free, Pottery Barn inspired yet DIY decorated homes, OR, it makes us want to throw in the towel.

Me - I'm doing the latter. It's not that I don't want some of those things. I just want them not that much. Not so much that I make them my god. My idols. That's what I find happening in my heart when I sit and stare at page after page of what I could do, what I could be, what I could have. I am sure there are people out there for whom Pinterest is nothing more than a fun way to gather ideas and grow, and that's great. For me, I have to go back to my word of the year - content - and own that Pinterest is one of those things that stands in contradiction with it.

1 comment:

  1. I applaud your integrity and commitment.
    I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete