Sunday, September 2, 2012

The View From Business Class

It has always been my dream to fly internationally in business class so that I could actually sleep on a flight. I am genetically programmed to only be able to sleep prone in dark, quiet places. I usually get to the other side of an international flight looking like a zombie.

So when Erik got upgraded to business class on our way back and offered it to me, I couldn't have been happier if I had just won the lottery. All I could think was, "I will be able to sleep!" And then I discovered that business class is so . . . much . . . more.

Maybe you know this, but business class is where they keep the nice flight attendants, the ones who joke with you and tell you their first names and offer to help you. It's where they put a tablecloth over your tray table and bring you warm mixed nuts in a bowl while you wait for your meal. It's where they offer you champagne, orange juice, or water, and you can veer off course and ask for a mimosa (I discovered this when the girl next to me did. Then I felt like I lost out a little by only getting water). It's where food looks like real food and alcohol is free as my seatmate made fairly clear (I joined her with a Bailey's at one point). But best of all, it's where the seats lay flat and that's what I did for 6 whole hours people. 12 hour flights go by quickly when you sleep for half of them.

So now here I am on the other side still wide awake at 11 pm because I just woke up at 3 pm, but that's ok. It was a great view.

No comments:

Post a Comment